2018 Logo Design Contest
Dana Point Festival of Whales Logo Art Contest Criteria
- The logo art/font samples/arrangement samples below are provided only as examples of possible design arrangement. Text/font style, placement and arrangement are your choice. The designs may also be completely inside of any shape of a frame. However, the design must include text referencing the 2018 Festival (47th Annual Dana Point Festival of Whales, March 3-4 & 10-11, 2018). The required text may reside anywhere on, in, above or below the design.
- Final artwork should be a full-scale Vector file. Illustrator .eps, Illustrator .ia, Photoshop .psd and Corel Draw .cdr files are acceptable. Designs should be created in layers where applicable.
- Photos a minimum resolution of 300 dpi at 100% may be included.
- A maximum of nine colors will be used in the final design. For graphics, Pantone solid coated colors are preferred however; other colors used will be matched as closely as possible.
- All artwork must be original creations of the contestant.
- Artwork must include a dominant graphic representation of the California gray whale—tail/s, entire whale/s, mother and calf, etc.
- Representations of other object/s relevant to the logo—such as the ocean, sun, boats, Dana Point Headlands and other wildlife—may be included, but are not mandatory.
- Designs must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight October 4.
How the Winner will be Chosen
The Festival of Whales Foundation Board will select five finalists. One winner will be chosen by a vote of the public, via social media.
Contest opens: August 15
Entry period ends: midnight October 4
Online voting for Top 5 runs: October 5-11
The winning logo will appear on Festival of Whales 2018 promotional material which could include: clothing, decals, flyers, tote bags, buttons, print and digital media advertising, the official event program, event signage, press coverage including the cover of the Dana Point Times (official media sponsor), and more. The winner will also be invited to ride atop a classic car in the Festival parade, followed by attending a poster autograph signing.
All five finalists and their artwork will be recognized during the public social media vote (October 5-11) and their name/work will be published in the Dana Point Times.
$500, 2 whale watching tickets, and choice of four pieces of event merchandise.
$100, 2 whale watching tickets
$50, 2 whale watching tickets
2 whale watching tickets
2 whale watching tickets
Visit http://festivalofwhales.com/festival-of whales-logo-history/ for examples of past designs, as well as the history of the Festival logo.
By entering the contest, the artist agrees to allow necessary changes (not effecting the integrity of the design) that may be necessary to ensure the best presentation of the logo on merchandise, advertising, in print and online media. The artist also agrees to grant exclusive use of the design to the Festival of Whales Foundation, to participate in media coverage of the contest (interviews and photos), and (if possible) to attend appearances/autograph signings (no more than two) during the Festival.