Cardboard Classic & Dinghy Dash
Westwind Sailing is honored to host the 4th annual Cardboard Classic & Dinghy Dash during the Dana Point Festival of Whales! This event is a fun-filled, family-oriented day that includes a cardboard boat building contest and race (the Dinghy Dash), business boat exhibition and public vote, food, event emcee – Jim Taylor, music and awards. It’s serious fun for competitors and spectators alike!
The Cardboard Classic is a free event and open to the public from 8 AM – 1 PM at Baby Beach, Dana Point Harbor (next to the OC Sailing & Event Center). Our main event is the Dinghy Dash which will feature a beach full of sea hardy captains racing in the Harbor with nothing but a paddle and their cardboard ships!
Dinghy Dash teams will work through the morning designing and building their crafts from corrugated cardboard and duct tape and then competing in age division races in the afternoon.
All building materials for the Dinghy Dash are supplied. Building materials include: cardboard, duct tape, box cutter knife, sharpie pens … that’s it! No outside materials allowed. (Business Barge Division boats are prebuilt with separate rules and parameters. See below)
Up to five people may participate on any team to build a boat but only one person per team may race in any given race (Except Business Barge Division). Adult supervision is required for any team with members under 13 years old.
Awards will be presented to top racers in each category along with 5 judged awards including: The Titanic!
Business Barge (Corporate Team Division)
Back by popular demand is the Business Barge division at the Cardboard Classic! The Business Barge division is unique in that local business’ pre-build their boats. The Barges with be on display during the morning of the Classic and are eligible to win the ‘People’s Choice’ award which is determined by public vote. The boats will be raced in the Business Barge division with a crew of 2 to 4 people. All local businesses are invited to enter as this is a great opportunity for Advertising and Team Building!
• 8 – 12 years old
• 13 – 17 years old
• High School Team
• Business Barge
Dinghy Dash Registration Fees:
• Individual Team = $40 ($35 early bird price – ends 1/31/19)
• Sponsored Boat = $40
• Business Barge (Corporate Team) = $70
Other Great Ways to Participate:
• Volunteer as one of our Dinghy Dash Deckhands! Lots of fun to make the event happen. Score a super duper T shirt and breakfast too!
• Sponsor a Boat! – Local high school science and physics classes will build and race your sponsored boat.
• Donate Supplies! – Donations of Duct Tape, Box Cutter knives and Colored Sharpie pens are needed for the Classic. Individuals and Businesses who donate are recognized as our awesome partners in announcements during the Cardboard Classic