Whale Watching Excursions
See why Dana Point is the “Whale Capital of the West!” Most excursions are 2-3 hours long. Reservations recommended.
Dana Wharf Whale Watching
March 2, 3, 9, 10
The Original 2-Hour Whale Watching Trip
Simply the best – from the originators of whale watching in Orange County and voted #1 five years in a row by Dana Point Times!
Expert captains and certified naturalists narrate each excursion, detailing the whales’ movements through their natural migration path. As the originator of Whale Watching in Orange County, Dana Wharf remains family owned and operated and is exclusively endorsed by world-renowned marine life artist Wyland. Every trip is a new and different adventure, all showcasing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean underwater world right here, off the coast of Dana Point. Kids rock at Dana Wharf and often get to meet the Captain! Marine Mammal “rain checks” ensure you see a good show of whales or dolphins or your next trip is FREE!
Excursions depart every hour, on the hour, from 8 AM to 4 PM during the Festival weekends and every trip is approx. 2 hours. Prices: Adults $45, Senior and Military $35, Children 3-12 years $29, Children 2 and under are always FREE. Use promo code Fow19 save $10 off all tickets excludes special 8am and 4pm trips. For reservations call 888-224-0603 or check out our schedule and purchase online.
8 AM Trip Special – Want a whale of a deal? $15 per person on all 8am trips! Hurry, the best deal in town sells out fast. Regular price is $45 – huge savings! For reservations call 888-224-0603 or check out our schedule and purchase online
4 PM Sunset Whale Watch Trip – Also take advantage of the wonderful sunsets in Dana Point on our specially priced Sunset Whale Watch trip. Sip cocktails or your favorite wine or beer from our on board bar as you take in the fabulous sunset. All tickets on this 4 PM-6 PM trip are just $29 for adults and seniors and $29 for kids compared to our usual $45 rate for adults and $35 for seniors. (No other discounts accepted on this trip.) For reservations call 888-224-0603 or check out our schedule and purchase online
The 2 1/2 Hour Deluxe Catamaran Adventure – Join Dana Wharf on a special 2.5-hour Whale Watching adventure both weekends at 11:30 AM . Board Dana Wharf’s luxurious 63-foot, state-of-the-art, custom-built OCean Adventures Catamaran or the new 50-foot Lot’ A Fun for a unique adventure Featuring a smooth ride and an incredibly spacious viewing deck, these are the perfect vessels for whale and dolphin watching. Hurry, these trips sell out quickly. Our famous “rain check” for marine mammal sightings guarantee applies to these trips as well. Marine Mammal “rain checks” ensure you see a good show of whales or dolphin or your next trip is FREE! Tickets that include the whale watching, pre trip lecture and continental breakfast are $55 for adults, $35 for seniors and children 3–12, and children 2 and under are always FREE!
Ocean Institute Pacific Marine Exploration Cruise
(949) 496-2274 | www.ocean-institute.org
March 2, 3, 9, 10
Pacific Marine Exploration Cruise aboard the R/V Sea Explorer: 10 AM and 1:30 PM
Join the Ocean Institute’s marine educators in exploring the ocean from top to bottom, while searching for some of the world’s largest and smallest creatures during our 2.5-hour long marine life exploration program.
First, learn how scientists identify the largest mammals on earth based on their unique characteristics in an optional pre-cruise Mammal Talk. Then, embark on the R/V Sea Explorer to test your new knowledge as we search for whales, dolphins, and sea lions. Lastly, assist the Ocean Institute staff in collecting samples of sea floor mud and the smallest organisms on earth – phytoplankton and zooplankton! We are pleased to provide the area’s only whale watching program that allows your family to be a scientist for the day!
Pricing: Adults $35.00; Children (12 and under; minimum age 4): $15.00 Members receive a 10% discount. Weekend admission to the Institute is included with the sail ticket purchase.
For more information or reservations, please visit www.ocean-institute.org or call 949- 496-2274.
Capt. Dave’s Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari
(949) 488-2828 | dolphinsafari.com
March 2, 3, 9, 10
Captain Dave’s Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari – Join Orange County’s number one rated whale watching tour on TripAdvisor, Google, and Yelp.
Bring the kids, family, and friends for a chance to get up close and personal with gentle gray whales as well as fin whales, humpback whales, minke whales, killer whales, and more, plus five different species of amazing wild dolphins, including mega-pods that can number in the thousands! We also see sea lions and seal, pelagic birds, and various species of fish including sharks.
**SPECIAL OFFER**Save $10.00 on each full fare adult and child ticket aboard our Dolphin & Whale Signature Safari when you reserve online. Use code: FOW19. Discount good March 1, 2019 through May 15, 2019. Discount not applicable on private charters and cannot be combined with other offers. Book online now.
ABOUT OUR TRIPS
All safaris have live narration from expert naturalists and Mrs. Capt. Dave’s legendary Triple Fudge Brownies as a special treat at the end of your trip.
Dolphin & Whale Signature Safari Aboard MANUTE’A – Our Most Popular Experience
Duration: 2.5 hours
Cost: $65 per adult (13 & up), $45 per child (1 – 12), $5 per infant (up to 12 mo.)
• Catamaran sailboat. Super stable!
• Two exclusive Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. Go underwater, and without getting wet, feel what it’s like to swim with dolphins and whales.
• Originators of the Eye-Spy viewing platform! 3 Eye-Spy Dolphin & Whale Tram Nets put wildlife inches below your feet.
• Up to 49 passengers with plenty of elbow room and comfortable seating for all.
Zodiac Dolphin & Whale Signature Safari Aboard FAST CAT
Duration: 2 hours
Cost: $65 per person
• Rigid hull inflatable catamaran. Super stable!
• Small group tour of up to 12 passengers.
• The fastest whale watching boat in Dana Point! More speed equals more whales and dolphins.
• Upscale vessel with large sunshade and heavily padded seats and seat backs.
• Five-star rating and Dana Point’s #1 Dolphin & Whale Watching activity on TripAdvisor. We’re also a proud two-time recipient of the TripAdvisor Hall of Fame award for having received a Certificate of Excellence for 9 consecutive years.
• Our trips to see dolphins and whales are the highest rated in Dana Point according to Yelp, Google, and TripAdvisor. We offer the best customer service!
• Customized vessels and exclusive features including Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods, Eye-Spy Tram Nets, underwater hydrophone, micro-museum with whale and dolphin artifacts and more.
• Captain Dave’s unique catamarans are never crowded with a maximum of 12 to 49 passengers, depending on the vessel, for an intimate whale watching experience.
• We are a real eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. No fishing = no animal bycatch and less ocean pollution.
• Our knowledgeable marine naturalists explain how these animals live for a fun and educational oceanic adventure that adults and children of all ages will love.
• Captain Dave and rescue team members have been recognized worldwide for their conservation and whale rescue efforts.
• Mrs. Captain Dave’s famously yummy Triple Fudge Brownies are served complimentary on every whale watching trip.
• Home of Dana Point’s most viewed YouTube Channel with over 30.6 million views, featuring Captain Dave’s award winning (Phinfest 2015) drone footage of whales and dolphins. Subscribe to our channel!
Captain Dave is a marine naturalist, passionate conservationist, photographer, award winning filmmaker and author, and whale watching captain. A founder of Orange County’s first whale disentanglement group, Captain Dave was a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to raise awareness of bycatch from fishing gear entanglement. He is often called upon as an authority on wild dolphins and whales, and was a keynote speaker at the LA Drone Expo for his spectacular use of drones to film whales and dolphins in his acclaimed video “Drones Over Dolphin Stampede and Whales off Dana Point and Maui”. Videos and photographs from Captain Dave’s safaris have been featured on ABC’s Good Morning America, CBS This Morning, NBC Nightly News, and The Today Show, Discovery Channel, National Geographic and in feature films including the Academy Award nominated film, Racing Extinction.